Updated: Jun 29, 2020
We previously updated you with our thoughts on what may (or may not) be different once we return to work. Now that we have a date set (4th July) we'd like to confirm a few things. Please do read - this will apply to your lessons.
If you are not having lessons with a DKM Driving instructor, please contact your own instructor for their own specific terms and changes as they may be different to ours.
We are excited to be able to book students in again! Please bear in mind that we have over 300 students across 8 instructors - filling diaries again takes time. We would really appreciate it if you could message your instructor with the dates and times you are available - this will help us get you booked in quickly. We understand that your availability may have changed with work/school commitments, so it would be really helpful to know what dates & times you're available.
We also appreciate that not every student will want to start lessons straight away. This may be due to personal anxieties, personal or household vulnerabilities, financial difficulties from the lockdown period, etc. We will not be forcing students to book lessons, and your 'space' with us will always be here - so please do just drop us a message, even if you don't want a lesson just yet. It's really useful for us to know who is and isn't wanting lessons straight away, and it's just nice to hear from you :) Whenever you are ready to start lessons again, please message us and we'll get you booked in as soon as possible.
We truly cannot wait to see you all again :)
Theory tests will resume from 4th July.
Practical tests will resume from 22nd July, with priority given to those who had tests booked before/during lockdown and that were cancelled by the DVSA. If you had a test cancelled by the DVSA, they will email you in the next few weeks and invite you to apply for a new test date/time. Please make sure your instructor is available on your chosen date/time before booking it.
Hand sanitiser will be available for you to use before and after the lesson. We would also ask you to wash your hands thoroughly at home before and after lessons. All of our instructors will have hand sanitiser in their cars for your use.
Masks and gloves
We are not going to be encouraging you to wear masks or gloves, for various reasons.
1. Communication can be an issue. Masks can muffle voices and the last thing we want is for you to miss an important direction, instruction, or warning, from us! This could become a safety critical incident and that is not what we want.
2. If we had an accident that could be proved to be caused by a communication issue from using a mask, the insurance company may not pay out.
3. Masks are useless when used wrong, worn wrong, or used for too long. Most masks are only effective for 20-30 minutes, which is useless if we do a 1 hour lesson - let alone a 2 hour lesson!
4. Masks can become hot, sweaty, itchy, and sore - this can become a massive distraction whilst you are trying to learn to drive.
5. Face shields & visors - again this could be dangerous, and if an air bag goes off this could cause significant damage to your face. I feel that if we have to use visors/shields, masks or gloves, to reduce the transmission - then we shouldn't be teaching anyway!
6. Gloves can also become hot, sweaty, itchy, and sore - and they could also become slippy. Again this is a massive risk whilst you are driving - the last thing you want is your hands slipping on the steering wheel whilst trying to go round a roundabout! Using gloves can also increase cross contamination. Good hand hygiene, washing your hands and using hand sanitiser is sufficient.
However, if you do wish to wear a mask and gloves, that is your choice and that is ok.
We hope this explains why we will not be using masks and gloves - please let us know if you have any questions.