Driving Instructor Training
We offer driving instructor training in and around Peterborough. We also travel further if you wish. This could be part 1, part 2, and part 3 training. We also offer standards check training for approved driving instructors.
Please send Laura a message if you'd like help with this - details are at the bottom of this page.
If you are still thinking about becoming a driving instructor and would like a chat, please get in touch with us. We'd love to chat and answer any questions that you may have! Please see further below for more information on the process to become a driving instructor.
If you are at the beginning of your instructor training journey, we can support you to pass the 3 tests required to become a fully qualified driving instructor. If you are part way through your instructor training journey and are looking for a fresh pair of eyes or a new trainer, we would also be happy to help.
The important bits are:
- You must be over 21 years old
- You must have held your driving licence for 3+ years (you can start your training before you reach 3 years though - so please do get in touch even if you haven't had your licence for 3 years yet)
- Not be barred from working with children
- The Registrar will look at any motoring or non motoring offences you have committed, and will take this into account when deciding whether to allow you to become a driving instructor. Having points on your licence does not automatically exclude you from being able to train.
We offer an affordable franchise opportunity and can provide the necessary training for you.
We also offer pay as you go training with no franchise ties if that would suit you best. There will be no pressure to join us as a franchise if you would prefer not to!
As of April 2020, our current weekly franchise fees are:
Approved driving instructors: £30 per week.
Potential/trainee driving instructors: £20 per week.
If you'd like to know more about our franchise options and what this includes, please get in touch below!
It is difficult to give an exact price for driving instructor training - this would depend on how far into your training you are, how much support you need from us, what stage you are at, how many hours you have already completed of the hours required by the DVSA, etc. Please get in touch with us to discuss this. We're happy to have a chat and discuss your specific requirements!
We have specifically NOT given exact prices for training due to the above reasons, however please be aware of training companies who try to sell you 'the dream' and offer packages and franchises for fixed prices. Whether or not you want to train with us at DKM Driving, Laura is more than happy to be a 'sounding board' if you would like to discuss and explore the pros and cons of other training packages. At the end of the day, the decisions you are making now will have a MASSIVE influence over your career as a driving instructor. Don't be afraid to ask questions and dig deeper before committing or signing for a franchise or training package.
So how do I become a driving instructor?
Let's make this simple!
1. You apply for a DBS check. Once this comes back clear, you can apply to the DVSA to start your training.
2. Part 1 test - this is like an 'advanced' theory test, with more questions, testing different areas of knowledge and skill, and has a higher pass mark. From the date you pass your part 1 test, you have 2 years to complete your training and pass part 3.
3. Part 2 test - this is like an 'advanced' driving test, where the examiner is looking for a higher standard of driving. This is also your chance to truly understand about what we practically do whilst driving and why - giving you the knowledge and skill to be able to teach it to pupils confidently.
4. Part 3 test - this is where an examiner sits in the back of your car, observing you teaching a 'normal' lesson. They are looking for you to demonstrate your skills and knowledge against 17 competencies. This test can be tricky, but we offer top quality training, 100% support, backed up with reputable resources.
After you have completed the steps above successfully, you will become a fully qualified, Approved Driving Instructor!
This is such a proud moment and we'd love to be there with you every step of the way!
The DVSA has also made a Driving Instructor Register Guide. You can find it HERE.
Tell me more? How do I start? I have more questions?
Please contact Laura for more information about driving instructor training.
Laura is more than happy to have a free, informal, no obligation chat over the phone with anyone who is looking to become a driving instructor! We're happy to answer any questions you may have, and if you'd like to get started with your training, we can guide you in the right direction!
We look forward to hearing from you!