Driving Instructor Training
We offer driving instructor training in and around Peterborough.
We also travel further if you wish - Laura has travelled all over the country to train instructors.
This could be part 1, part 2, and part 3 training. We also offer standards check training for Approved Driving Instructors.
Whether you are still thinking about becoming a driving instructor or are already training to become an instructor, if you'd like to chat with Laura, please feel free to get in touch using the details at the bottom of this page.
Laura works with top UK driving instructor trainers, Lou & Blaine Walsh, and together they run Lou's PDI Group. Any person who is considering becoming a driving instructor, or who is already training, is more than welcome to join, regardless of who you are training with. You can join HERE. It's a safe group JUST for trainees to ask questions, share experiences, and get support and advice.
We offer an affordable franchise opportunity and can provide the necessary training for you.
We also offer pay as you go training with no franchise ties if that would suit you best. There will be no pressure to join us as a franchise if you would prefer not to! Laura trains trainee instructors who work under DKM Driving, and also provides training to other trainee instructors who are working with other franchises or driving schools.
Since April 2018 to present, our current weekly franchise fees are:
Approved driving instructors: £30 per week.
Trainee driving instructors: £20 per week.
If you'd like to know more about our franchise options and what this includes, please get in touch below!
It is difficult to give an exact price for driving instructor training - this would depend on how far into your training you are, how much support you need from us, what stage you are at, how many hours you have already completed of the hours required by the DVSA, etc. We're happy to have a chat and discuss your specific requirements!
We have specifically NOT given exact prices for training due to the above reasons, however please be aware of training companies who try to sell you 'the dream' and offer packages and franchises for fixed prices. Some may offer really cheap training, in return for 2-3 years fixed franchise with them, often with high weekly fees. Whether or not you want to train with us at DKM Driving, Laura is more than happy to be a 'sounding board' if you would like to discuss and explore the pros and cons of other training packages. At the end of the day, the decisions you are making now will have a MASSIVE influence over your career as a driving instructor. Don't be afraid to ask questions and dig deeper before committing or signing for a franchise or training package.
Laura spent 12 months from March 2020-March 2021, working with fellow instructor trainers Lou & Blaine Walsh to create a brand new package for trainee driving instructors, to work through all 3 qualifying exams. This package, Go Green Driving Instructor Training, is really comprehensive and structured, complete with workbooks, tasks, materials, online content and videos. Full support is given through Laura, Lou and Blaine throughout the course, as well as fortnightly live zoom chats.
Laura uses Go Green to support instructors throughout their training to give a comprehensive, complete, and thorough training structure. Please get in touch with us if you'd like to speak to Laura about training as an instructor using Go Green.
It is worth noting that if you are part way through your training and would prefer NOT to use the Go Green package - Laura is still MORE than happy to support and train you! :)
So how do I become a driving instructor?
The important bits are:
- You must be over 21 years old
- You must have held your driving licence for 3+ years (you can start your training before you reach 3 years though - so please do get in touch even if you haven't had your licence for 3 years yet)
- Not be barred from working with children
- The Registrar will look at any motoring or non motoring offences you have committed, and will take this into account when deciding whether to allow you to become a driving instructor. Having points on your licence does not automatically exclude you from being able to train.
Let's make this simple!
1. You apply for a DBS check. Once this comes back clear, you can apply to the DVSA to start your training.
2. Part 1 test - this is like an 'advanced' theory test, with more questions, testing different areas of knowledge and understanding, and has a higher pass mark. This is the knowledge you will need to be able to teach pupils! From the date you pass your part 1 test, you have 2 years to complete your training and pass part 3.
3. Part 2 test - this is like an 'advanced' driving test, where the examiner is looking for a higher standard of driving. This is also your chance to truly understand and dig deeper in what we practically do whilst driving and why - giving you the practical skill to be able to teach pupils confidently.
4. Part 3 test - this is where an examiner sits in the back of your car, observing you teaching a lesson. They are looking for you to demonstrate your practical skills, knowledge and understanding, against 17 competencies. This test can be tricky, but we offer top quality training, 100% support, backed up with reputable resources.
After you have completed the steps above successfully, you will become a fully qualified, Approved Driving Instructor!
This is such a proud moment and we'd love to be there with you every step of the way!
The DVSA has also made a Driving Instructor Register Guide. You can find it HERE.
Tell me more? How do I start? I have more questions?
Please contact Laura for more information about driving instructor training.
Laura is more than happy to have a free, informal, no obligation chat over the phone with anyone who is looking to become a driving instructor! We're happy to answer any questions you may have, and if you'd like to get started with your training, we can guide you in the right direction!
We look forward to hearing from you!